Sunday, February 28, 2016

February 28, 2016

We went to Provo last weekend.  We had a 4 day weekend for President's day.  We went up to see the new Provo City Center Temple.  It was beautiful.  We stayed with Trina the first night and Sarah came over and we all had breakfast the next morning.  That afternoon we went to the Dean's.  We got the kids settled and Bob and I and Danny and CJ went to visit Bishop Gibby and his wife.  Danny and CJ rode their snowmobile while we talked.  It was good to see them again.  That night we had a candlelight dinner with the Deans as part of their Valentine Traditions. Sunday we went to church with them and then went over to Wendy's house for dinner.  We had a good weekend of visiting the right amount of people so we saw a lot but it wasn't too busy.

Friday fun nights are going great.  We've started having some theme nights.  We did an 80s night where we listened to 80s music while we played quirkle and then Bob introduced the kids to Pee Wee's Playhouse.  And we had an Indian/Persian night where Danny and I stopped by an Indian and Persian grocery store that are by his basketball game and we got lots of treats.  Then we listened to Indian music while playing Don't eat Pete with some Indian wedding candy.  And then we turned on a Bollywood movie on Netflix called Singh is King.  We thought we'd only watch 20 minutes.  But we all loved it.  We watched the whole thing and it even had subtitles.

I listened to a book called How Not to Die that talks about lots of the benefits of a whole food plant based diet and how it can help with lots of diseases.  It mentioned a study where they found that a dairy-free diet cured diabetic neuropathy.  So I thought I'd try it.  I was unsure about how much dairy fits into the Word of Wisdom so it sounded great to try it.  Bob did it with me.  It didn't help my nerves.  The first week I couldn't tell much difference and then the second week my hands were pretty bad I think because I tweaked my neck a little one night.  But it wasn't that hard and I like some of the changes we made doing it. I fasted about it also because I wanted to make sure I wasn't being extreme in my interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, but I felt like it is definitely a good thing to do. So I think I'll relax a little about how strict I was, but still continue to cut dairy as much as possible.  I also mentioned cutting dairy to Danny because our dermatologist said it could help his skin.  I didn't know if he'd want to try, but he did and he's been doing great with it.  He says he feels like his skin feels smoother and Bob and I have noticed that his skin looks less red and inflamed.  So at least that's been nice to see a little progress.

Our garden is in and we have plants! I did some seeds and some little plants.  So we'll see what happens.

No comments: